Looking for an easy vegetarian soup recipe? One of the days I was feeling under the weather, my Mom made our family a delicious Spinach Orzo Soup with Fire Roasted Tomatoes.
Vegetarian Soup: Spinach, Tomatoes, and Orzo
My mom has been a vegetarian for as long as I can remember. She often comes up with new vegetable combinations in a soup like spinach, carrots, and tomatoes. Many of her dishes are also vegan, which is great for my dairy free diet restrictions.
This simple soup is different than most of the other soups I usually make and share on CHB because it contains tomatoes. My daughters aren’t the biggest fan of cooked tomatoes, so I often avoid this ingredient. If your kids don’t like fire roasted tomatoes (like mine), try regular stewed tomatoes or diced tomatoes.
An easy addition to the soup that makes it non-vegetarian is shredded rotisserie chicken. Serve this soup with a side of toasted ciabatta bread or topped with grated cheese and croutons.
Spinach Orzo Soup with Fire Roasted Tomatoes
Easy, vegetarian Spinach Orzo Soup with Fire Roasted Tomatoes is perfect for a chilly evening — and made even better when served with a piece of crusty bread.
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 30 mins
- 1 Dutch Oven
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves diced or smashed
- 3 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 cups spinach frozen or fresh chopped
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes drained
- 1 cup dried orzo
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- olive oil
- red pepper flakes
- sea salt
- cracked ground pepper
- 1. Sautè onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a dutch oven on med-low heat until translucent.
- 2. Add 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, carrots and celery. Stir to cooking for 2–3 minutes. Add spinach and tomatoes.
- 3. Add 6 cups vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- 4. Add orzo, red pepper flakes (optional) and salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer until orzo is tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- 5. Serve immediately with toasted bread or crusty croutons.
Keyword Orzo, Soup, Spinach, Vegetarian